Sunday, February 5, 2012

Lets talk bugs.

Before I go ahead and post anything about how fantastic and amazing the Amazon is, let me say a few words about bugs in the Amazon. Bugs in the Amazon are massive. I am not talking about "oh wow look at that beetle isn't it large." it's more like "WHOA, that bug just knocked that guy over!" They are the biggest things I have ever seen. There was a moth larger than my hand. The beetles, ad there are many of them, are twice the size of my thumb. These things are no joke. There are motion sensors on the doors to the outside dinning area, and I saw a bug fly in front of the sensor and open the door. Some of these creatures I have never seen before and they look like some sort of alien or science project gone wrong. Luckily we spent most of our time on the Rio Negro which is to acidic for mosquitoes to lay eggs, so there were not to many of those around. But hundreds of beetles and billions of gnats. It seems that most things in the Amazon are either huge or tiny, anything normal sized is just not here. I just had to get that off my chest to start with.

1 comment: